Nikhil,

I recommend creating some kind of survey with carefully crafted questions
to discover what the SymPy community (users and devs) might want in a
website upgrade. Maybe you can come up with 5 or 6 key questions that take
< 5 mins to complete to try to get a broad sampling of opinions and then
advertise it beyond the mailing list and Github. Given the results, I would
lean to prioritizing SymPy user needs over SymPy developer needs in the
work you do. It may be tempting to spend lots of time on a fancy website
build system instead of updating the content, organization, and appearance
of the website, but I believe the latter is much more important.

As for choice in static site generators I'd recommend 1) choosing one that
is very likely to be popular and well maintained in the long run, 2)
reduces the amount of work needed to convert from the current website, 3)
and, if possible, written in Python because our community knows Python and
will have little trouble writing extensions, modifications, for any special
things we desire.

Good idea! Share the proposal as you draft it and we can give you feedback.

Jason
moorepants.info
+01 530-601-9791