David,

No problem at all! Thanks for the feedback. It is very useful. We'll see
what happens with the simple survey, but up to this point each one of those
five options had been a preference for 1 or 2 individuals. So there isn't
or wasn't any overwhelming preference. Unless a strong consensus develops,
I am thinking along much the same lines you indicate in your last two
sentences:

   - `diff(Eqn)` would raise an error (ValueError?) that would say the
   operation can only be applied to one side or the other with example syntax.
   The error would also direct the user to a special method (`ediff()`?).
   - `ediff(Eqn, wrt_list, const_list)` Eqn: the equation, wrt_list:
   symbols to differentiate wrt, const_list: symbols to hold constant. So this
   would be a fully specified partial derivative.
   - There is still the problem with how any derivatives in an equation
   would end up being evaluated. With SymPy's present capabilities there would
   need to be some autogeneration of functions to make this work with the
   differential equations module.
   - One stumbling block to bringing all of this together is that SymPy
   does not contain the concept of an infinitesimal of a symbol. I have not
   looked at it carefully, but some of the work necessary for this may be
   included in the differential geometry module. It is certainly embedded as
   an assumption in the integration module.

Anyway. Thanks for the feedback. I will let the list know what the
a chance to respond.

Jonathan