On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 1:44 PM Oscar Benjamin <oscar.j.benja...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 at 20:24, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 6:47 AM David Bailey <d...@dbailey.co.uk> wrote:
> >>
> >> On 10/02/2021 00:53, Oscar Benjamin wrote:
> >>
> >> On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 at 23:58, S.Y. Lee <sylee...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>

> >> And we would also arrive in questions like: If equation brings its own
> algebra system, there should be an equation of equations? How should we
> solve them?
> >>
> >> It's not an "algebra system": it's just a few convenience operations.
> >> It should not be confused with allowing Equation to be used in places
> >> where Expr is expected.
> >>
> >> Might it be an idea to introduce functions such as AddSides,
> SubtractSides, etc that Mathematica has? Not only would these avoid any
> confusion with the normal arithmetic operations,  but I think using these
> functions would clarify what is going on. After all, when people do such
> operations by hand, they don't write (a=b)*k,or whatever, they typically
> write "Multiplying equation 4 by k we get..."
> >

> > Is there a need to have an unevaluated version of AddSides? + already
> works for an evaluated version.
> >
> > It might be worth thinking about inequalities in the design here. We've
> been ignoring them because it's simpler to do equalities first, but
> inequalities have some restrictions that might clarify what design we want.
> For a > b, things like function application or even multiplication aren't
> straightforward. What should x*(a > b) do if x is only known to be real?
> One option is a Piecewise, but then things get hairy if you start doing
> other operations. Maybe a MultiplySides does actually make sense for this.
>
> See also these two links:
> https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/20723#issuecomment-763975854
> https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/17097

> Yes, DivideSides would make sense for unevaluated division of inequalities
> etc.
>
> That is not inconsistent with using + though: We can use eq1+eq2 as a
> shorthand for the evaluated form of AddSides(eq1, eq2). For equations
> that would always be able to evaluate. In Mathematica this is all
> organised around making Boolean expressions that can evaluate after
> substitution.

We can generalize this to applying any function to equations or
inequalities. For equations, it matters where the function either isn't
defined (like y=0 for f(x, y) = x/y), or isn't well-defined (for example,
square roots are multivalued). For inequalities it matters on what parts of
the domain the function is (strictly) monotonic. Except I don't know if
SymPy can really answer either of these questions right now. So this might
have to remain only a theoretical idea for the time being.

Aaron Meurer