On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 2:16 AM Oscar Gustafsson
<oscar.gustafs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> two issues that I've been thinking about that are maybe related.
>
> 1. It seems like the maintenance of mpmath is a bit on hold. I seem to recall
> that it has been discussed for SymPy to take over the maintenance of it. Is
> this correct? Is now the time? (I assume that maybe we do not have the
> competence to actually develop it further, but more sorting out the few bugs
> that emerge etc.)
>
> 2. It has been discussed adding matchplay as a dependency. Related to that:
> would it make sense to move the rubi code out to its own repository? The code
> seems highly useful if/when it works and this can maybe spark some interest
> in it (or at least reduce the size of SymPy...). Then, matchpy can easily be
> made a dependency there. (And possibly for the remaining sympy as well, as it
> is sort of independent, but definitely the largest direct benefit is
> currently with rubi.)
>
> Both these require that "someone" (at least Aaron I assume) creates repos and
> are willing to assist in setting up deployment chains etc. I may personally
> not be willing to take on a larger role for any of these repos, but can
> definitely be part of them and assist in moving rubi.

I'm in favor of moving RUBI out. IMO it should have been developed
that way in the first place. We should move it back in once it is in a
functioning state, but right now it mostly doesn't work and just adds
unnecessary bloat to the library.

Ideally anyone with push access should be able to do this? The GitHub
permissions system is a bit complicated, but I *think* I just enabled
it so that anyone with push access can create new repos. Do you see
the green "New" button here https://github.com/sympy? If it doesn't
work, or if you need permissions to do something else like setting up
CI, let me know. Ideally anyone should be able to do these things
without being blocked on me.

Aaron Meurer