On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 1:16 PM Oscar Benjamin
<oscar.j.benja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 at 18:43, Aman Sharma
> <b21...@students.iitmandi.ac.in> wrote:
> >
> > Hello SymPy community,
> > I am Aman Sharma (mostlyaman on github). I plan to apply for GSoC 2022 for
> > porting SymPy Gamma to Pyodide. I have used SymPy Gamma countless times
> > during my first year calculus and electrical course. In my opinion, SymPy
> > Gamma is an incredibly useful tool and has great potential to be expanded
> > upon.
> > If you want to suggest some features / share opinions to the project,
> > please do so at https://github.com/sympy/sympy_gamma/issues/188
> >
> > SymPy Gamma currently runs on the Google App Engine, with Sympy 1.6 which
> > is quite old. Because of the high server costs, Gamma was going to be shut
> > down. So, it is important to modify SymPy Gamma to run in the browser
> > without any backend computation. This eliminates the need to maintain a
> > server and the application could be just hosted on Github pages with zero
> > cost. This is achieved using Pyodide.
>
> There are a number of projects/PRs attempting to do something similar
> to this right now. You mention SymPy Beta in your proposal but I
> thought there was at least one other. How is this project idea
> different from those?

There are proposals to replace SymPy Live with jupyterlite, but I'm
not aware of other SymPy Gamma proposals. SymPy Gamma works quite
differently from SymPy Live, so I'm not sure if there will be an
off-the-shelf replacement like jupyterlite, although if there is, we
should look into it.