On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 at 20:48, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 1:44 PM Oscar Benjamin
> <oscar.j.benja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 at 20:37, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > There are proposals to replace SymPy Live with jupyterlite, but I'm
> > > not aware of other SymPy Gamma proposals. SymPy Gamma works quite
> > > differently from SymPy Live, so I'm not sure if there will be an
> > > off-the-shelf replacement like jupyterlite, although if there is, we
> > > should look into it.
> >
> > There is SymPy Beta which is apparently also based on pyodide:
>
> Right, I meant aside from SymPy Beta. The author of SymPy Beta has
> declined to upstream the changes to SymPy Gamma, so if we want to
> continue to maintain SymPy Gamma, we will need to do the work
> separately.

To me it seems like a good thing that someone else is maintaining
SymPy Beta. SymPy Gamma and SymPy Live have both languished because
the SymPy maintainers don't have the right skillset to maintain them.

Also I might be wrong but as I understood it the reason for not
upstreaming was just the difference in license but I didn't really see
a change of license as a big deal. SymPy Gamma is not a library in the
way that SymPy is so it doesn't need the same license.

--
Oscar