I would not be surprised if the opposite happened.  They likely copied a
snippet from one of the SymPy examples on that page to use in a test
question.  Then, their hired-gun using an automated tool found the
similarity between their code and the SymPy example.   This is a clear
example of not understanding the "downside risks" of automation -- and
putting appropriate measures to mitigate.

-Travis