On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 at 10:50, David Bailey <d...@dbailey.co.uk> wrote:

> On 20/04/2022 08:10, Aaron Meurer wrote:
> > The documentation is back online now.
> >
> Great news! Is it possible to say anything about the problem? I mean had
> some proprietary information made its way onto the SymPy website, or was
> it some sort of mistake?

No detail was given in the original request and I haven't seen any
detail given later. The CEO of HackerRank said that this was
"unintended" but I haven't seen any further clarification. The request
is the only information that we have:
https://github.com/github/dmca/blob/5de8f80b171afdc3741c9ab9d4c32ea32c44e59c/2022/04/2022-04-15-hackerrank.md

I suspect that the company WorthIT who issued this claim on behalf of
HackerRank were just using something like a web-crawler and pretty
much firing out DMCA requests automatically. You can see an identical
DMCA letter against PHP's range function docs here:
https://www.mail-archive.com/php-webmaster@lists.php.net/msg14947.html

Presumably something in our docs page matches something in
HackerRank's code but it isn't clear if that's just because their code
uses SymPy or if they have mathematical questions that involve solving
the same equations shown in the examples or what. I've looked through
the page and I don't see anything that anyone else could reasonably
claim any ownership of. It isn't possible to see HackerRank's content
(the whole point is they don't want it to be public) so there's no way
to compare.

> I am sure receiving something like that was quite upsetting.

I was always confident this would be resolved. I think it's good
though that enough publicity was generated that this should be less
likely to happen in future.

I think GitHub needs to fix its process here though. They give one
business day to respond and the only possible response is to open a
counter claim as described here:
https://docs.github.com/en/site-policy/content-removal-policies/guide-to-submitting-a-dmca-counter-notice

Try reading those counter claim instructions and figuring out what to
do when countering a claim that gives no detail about what the
allegedly infringing content is. The original request is so vague that
it's simultaneously impossible to dispute the claim and also
impossible to comply with the request (short of deleting your repo).

GitHub's process is apparently that if you don't respond within one
business day then they will block your repo and take down any
associated website that is hosted through GitHub. If you do submit a
counter claim they will only unblock the repo after waiting 10-14
days. Note that I responded saying that this DMCA request was spam
within 2hrs of receiving the original email from GitHub but it took
longer than one business day to get legal advice and submit a counter
claim.

The original email from GitHub did not even seem genuine: at first I
thought it was some kind of phishing spam. It came from the address
supp...@githubsupport.com but that domain name has no other visible
presence:

  $ ping githubsupport.com
  ping: unknown host githubsupport.com

There needs to be a better way to respond to something like this.
Really there should be a simple template for responding to a DMCA
request that contains so little detail: a template DMCA request should
just be met with a template counter claim. GitHub also needs to allow
more time to respond.

--
Oscar