I like the " raise ImportError " a lot. I think that would be a very good
solution. The master branch could then be removed after a grace period of
half a year or so, and then the confusion is gone.

I think if " See https:... for more details " has a nice how-to, everybody
should be able to adapt quickly.

By the way, I also don't want the political discussion here. I just thought
it was not worthwhile to change it. If you decide it is, though, you have
my full support too.