Well. I see what you mean. I don't suffer from NIHS (Not invented Here
Syndrome) however the server stuff originally was a learning thing after
toying with CGI for awhile. Then I got a decent web server example and ran
with it, and was able to mix all my CGI stuff with the Webserver stuff where
I could run in webserver mode or just a CGI mode using a trick to get speed
via resident multithreaded "workhorse" with persistant db connections and a
little "cgi" app that just handed web requests back and forth. (two app
setup with much speed gain like FastCGI Does it without coding to specific
web server.)

I dropped the CGI bit but kept my little CGI proxy tool - (the one I'm
fighting with for the windows install. we've covered this a bit as you
know).

In short, you can't sell canned goods with GPL and frankly the web server
stuff I've tried, and the full webserver's that are out there, my code beats
them all hands down on speed. even faster than LIHTTPD (Which is awesome).
There are some caveats (I don't have OpenSSL working yet but synapse will
help greatly here - I think "I'm almost there" because of synapse.. and then
on to 64 bit. Then some more farm stuff.

But I guess my reasoning for home grown is simply speed plus ability to
write web apps in 100% binary.(via a "hook" where people can write their own
applications and compile them in to the core server without changing the
server code) there's a templating system that works in such a way that
application logic and GUI are pretty well separated unlike most
alternatives. There is a CRM built into it, odbc, and its great for doing
systems integration and running tasks in the webserver not controlled by
webrequests. like can spin off threads that do whatever you want etc. So
those are some reasons I'm doing my own thing. I really like the FreePascal
Write-Once Compile-Anywhere paradigm. I write for windows and linux
simultaneously all the time. In fact one of my biggest projects ever needed
some features I had been developing, and I wasn't even going to use this but
it fit - and it's working swell in a high demand environment. If you're
curious:
http://www.jegas.com/index.php/jegas-products/57-jegas-application-server.ht
ml

It's been a codebase I've been grooming 5 years or more now on and off, and
it's maturing a bit for a one man project. I'm also looking for others to
help with it - but I'm not ready to go open source just yet. I have open
source stuff out there - http://code.google.com/p/darkgdkoop/
http://code.google.com/p/ironinfantrydbpro/

But I'm also brining in some other open source projects possibly into the
mix. I'm already using IWF (Interactive Framework) for ajax and think it
rocks. I'm using qooxdoo on and off (weighing the results versus the effort
to code with it - though its sweet looking for making web apps) and I'm
about to do a research dive into DynaForms for making web pages to replace
the gui I put together (fast and lean.. but you know how programmer graphics
can be LOL - sure I like it but no one else might.current client does. but
dunno)

A lot of this stuff is still kinda fun for me - and there is an element of
pride when I can say I wrote my own web server and I'm using it to help my
clients etc.

Though one thing I have to do yet is REALLY making your thought attractive
in a big way is I need to write a "mod_rewrite" equivalent and that might be
a chore and then some. don't know but I suspect it will be.

Well that's enough bandwidth for me to leach from you all tonight - but this
has been a fun rant.

(steps off geek soap box) LOL

I really appreciate everyone's help and I explore every idea presented.
before I make a major judgment call.

--Jason