I love the synapse code base, but with everything good, there are some tough
spots. I'm not attempting to answer in place of the right answer you're
seeking as I am hoping someone helps you on the specific question you're
asking. I am going to suggest that perhaps if you're pressed for time, you
consider some more direct approaches.

I for example have some old FreePascal Winsock code built on top of Win32
headers that were translated by the FPC team, and I am pretty sure I saw a
FreePascal UDP example in the rtl samples that come with freepascal. This
MIGHT be one of those spots where you have one home rolled listen port, but
otherwise use synapse, then when you aren't under the gun you can revisit
the issue. I'm just saying it might be worth a few hours toying with some
direct examples that might help get the job done.

The Synapse code base Lukas is maintaining isn't trivial and many of us
rarely have enough time in a day to keep up let alone document these types
of projects the way we'd like.

You're not alone my friend - we all are making a go of it one way or another
as best we can! :)

Hang IN! :)

--Jason