We move forward with Chris' plan [1] with the following
amendments/clarification:

1) We support old-sync-signin for existing users (i.e. "let 'em be") in
29+, yes. But we do not allow for old-sync-account-creation in 29+.  [2]

2) We limit FxA promotion in 29 to users that don't currently have a Sync
account setup in their profile (i.e. nearly 99% of our users). We don't
upsell/promo FxA to users with sync profiles in 29 (we do it in 30).

I think that's it, and I believe after some vidyo/IRC that we're in
agreement that this is doable both in engineering and UX.

-Mark

[1] https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/sync-dev/2014-January/000627.html

[2] two reasons for this: a) allowing creation of old-sync accounts
introduces complexity on the server-side "support two syncs" ops migration
if we can't depend on a flat account DB b) seems like it just opens up
complexity in users messaging down the road when we do eventually turn off
the old sync auth system  (ex: FAQs that have to now talk about both
firefox versions *and* dates)