> It's the only time I have ever seen it abused to be honest. I added the Azure
> abuse team so it should get resolved and they responded that they are
> escalating it to their CERT team. Plus I am curious what the hell is going on
> so I'll ask them to follow-up

Indeed, I should have done that already with the first mail. Thanks for jumping
in.

> How did you figure out it was the brain dev company Btw? I didn't see the
> connection.  Also, I think they had a webmail interface up at 52.169.9.191
> and it appears to be offline now. Guessing the abuse team cut the machine off.

Good question, I’ll try to remember :) dig -x was non-conclusive, the website
just showed a roundcube login. But somehow I got to a „settings“ page which
showed IMAP, POP and SMTP servers to configure, with the right hostname, which
resolved back to the very IP.

> One thing that would be cool is a heat-map/aggregation of the sa-update data
> which might also find issues like this but also show useful information like
> where our sa-update mirrors are getting used most, identify the actual
> aggregated load, etc.  Thoughts?

I’m very much in favor of aggregating and analyzing data, that’s bascially what
we do at dnswl.org <http://dnswl.org/> :) Having said that, I usually don’t see
that much load on our sa-update mirror, just a bit of bandwidth being used.

It could give us an overview of how / where SpamAssassin is being used, and
maybe see how the usage changes over time? Example below (would be sufficient
to run on a sample of the logs, when we’re only interested in relative size):

# grep "sa-update\/svn" access_log | grep -v "\.tar\.gz " > /tmp/x
# cat /tmp/x | cut -d "/" -f 1,7 | sort | uniq | cut -d "/" -f 2 | sort | uniq
-c | sort -rn | less
    176 3.3.2"
     93 3.3.1"
     15 3.4.1"
     15 3.1.8"
      3 3.2.4"
      2 3.4.0"
      2 3.2.1"
      1 3.2.3“

That’s about half a day worth of logs. 3.2.x seems basically dead, but there
are still 15 sites using 3.1.8 (oh my). But there are quite a few with user
agent <> „sa-update“ (but with curl/wget).

— Matthias