Hi,

Assuming you use snmpv3 with e2e encryption, the relay wouldn't be able
to access the message contents to fragment it. An SNMP message should
never be fragmented anyway, so using snmp for the example is a bad
choice.

You should definitely not think of snmp as just some type of transport;
it is a network management protocol at the same level as syslog. You
shouldn't talk about sending snmp over syslog, and you shouldn't talk
about sending syslog over snmp. SNMP is a parallel NM protocol for
specific types of management communications, such as notifications, so
syslog doesn't need to reinvent that wheel. It would be good if the
format selected for content in the syslog protocol could be reused
easily in the parallel SNMP protocol.

The idea of a syslog relay fragmenting an snmp notification is just
wrong. One protocol does not travel within the other; they are
independent protocols.

dbh