Chris,

I agree to all but one point - only that one quoted here...

> > Also want to clarify that you suggest that if the message
> is in ASCII,
> > it will not required SD-ID, but for all other encodings,
> SD-ID will be
> > required.
>
> Yes - that's my suggestion.

I am sorry, we can not do this.  The whole issue is rooted in POSIX
APIs. You need to look at it why it is such a problem. On Windows, you
know what character encodings you are dealing with. On Unix, you
actually just get a bunch of octets - and nobody tells you what it is.
So the poor Unix syslogd actually has no idea of what it handles and
likewise does not know what to place in that field ;) If it knew it were
this or that encoding, I would be very tempted to request it to convert
to UTF-8. But the need behind this encoding is *NOT* to allow the
multitude of whatever currently is in existence but rather provide a way
to let a syslogd that needs to omit a "bunch of octets" do that.

Does this clarify? I can provide code if that would be helpful...

Rainer