I would like to see a stricter definition of characters in syslog-protocol.
With US-ASCII, references to space or period or hyphen are unambiguous; with
UTF-8, they are not and so I think we should be more specific with our
terminology.  Other documents specify characters in a variety of ways, by
names - SPACE or <NUL> or hyphen-minus - or by code - U+0020 or 0x00 or %2D.  We
use
%dnn
in the ABNF so could use this notation elsewhere (although it is not my
favourite) with a
paragraph in Section 2 to explain this, something like

Characters will be specified either by a decimal value
   (e.g., the value %d65 for uppercase A and %d97 for lowercase A) or by
   a case-insensitive literal value enclosed in quotation marks (e.g.,
   "A" for either uppercase or lowercase A).

or whatever is appropriate.  I know of no RFC that handles this well but some
are not bad, eg RFC2822 (from which the above comes) or RFC3987.

An example of a place in the I-D where I would make such a change is in
 6.2.8.  PROCID
where we have
 The dash ("-") is ...
replacing it with something like
Not so pretty but more likely to interoperate.

This comment may not attract much "me too" on this list but is intended to
forestall objections that may well arise from the IESG or during IETF last call.

Tom Petch