Hi Rainer,

I believe that we are saying the same thing.  :)

If there is no indicator of encoding or language then a reciever will not know what it is receiving - just like receivers don't know what they are receiving today. They MAY make an assumption that it is something in US-ASCII (but may be disappointed).

If there is an indicator of the encoding and language then the receiver will know exactly what it is. Having an indicator should be RECOMMENDED but not REQUIRED for ease of migration.

Is that what we're all saying?

Thanks,
Chris