Royalty-free does not generally mean free! It means you don't charge
per-end-user, per-server fee.  But it does not mean there is not fee. Plus,
license terms suggest "other reasonable, non-discriminations terms" and refer
to reciprocal license needed to implement standards. Notice plural.

I know the giants like Cisco and Huawei will find a common ground as they can
sue each other silly with their patent portfolios.  My concern is more from the
perspective of having an open standard for everybody to use.  I think some
companies will be reluctant to use it given a law suit threat or the hustle of
extra licensing.

I think clarification on what is claimed are in order before investing more
effort into this.

Anton.