Hi all,

I agree with Anton on all important issues. I've read the IPR claim and
what disturbs me the most is "unpublished pending patent application".
This sounds like someone took what we have been discussing (and is
widely deployed), brought it to a lawyer and is now trying to make some
patent out of it. This smells very bad.

Without knowing what exactly is claimed to be invented by the claimer, I
can not judge the effect it will have on my work. Anyhow, I do not
intend to invest any of my time into something that somebody else claims
exclusive rights too. If I did, I'd end up with the need to "pay"
(money-wise or other) for the right to use my own work. Would I be smart
if I did that? ;)

The licensing terms themselves sound fair (but are vague enough to do
so...). My root concern is that there is nothing that has been invented
by that party. I am still waiting for someone to patent the use of the
letter "a" ("@" has been tried AFIK)...

I think using a patented technology inside a standard will definitely
hinder the acceptance of that standard. Especially if it is something as
trivial as syslog over tls. So my vote is to put this work on hold until
further clarification can be obtained. If that means we'll have no
syslog RFC, so be it. That would probably be the better choice...

Rainer