From: Rainer Gerhards [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 9:22 PM
To: Balazs Scheidler
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Tom Petch
Subject: RE: [Syslog] delineated datagrams

> Maybe this already has been said ;)
>
> This makes sense. What about other control characters?

We need to differentiate between on-the-wire format and storage format.
On-the-wire, I would escape only LF and the escape character. In
storage, I would escape any control character (which can be quite tricky
with Unicode). Our current scope (and IETF scope) is on-the-wire. So I
propose not to mangle any more characters than absolutely necessary.

Rainer