Hi John,

As you know, I value the work you are doing in IHE very much. I consider
the IHE record a payload of the syslog message. So having the protocol
itself XML-based does not neccesarily have any influence on IHE, as the
payload is not directly related to it.

On the issue of COOKED, I tend to agree that it has not received any
vital interest. As you know, I have implemented it, too. My
implementation, as I now know, seems to have some problems. I have not
intended to fix them as I actually never received any real demand on
that functionality. I had one interop conversation with someone working
on an IHE project (a very smart guy, was nice talking to him). This is
where I became aware of the problem with COOKED in my stack. One or two
other folks asked about COOKED and I think some university project
implemented it. But again, no real demand. Also, I do not know a single
*complete* implementation of COOKED. In my previous reply, I talked
about the PATH elements. In theory, these can be quite useful. But it is
pain in the ... to generate and to track them. Nobody has done that. For
IHE, keep in mind that you would need to implement PATH elements if you
ever want to (really) claim compliance to 3195 (these are not optional,
as far as I remember out of my head).

As a last example, I have learned that Cisco has implemented 3195 (which
is very welcome), but also only RAW. With RAW, we have at least some
actual implementations, even though I have yet to see someone who
deploys them. But they would work and would interoperate.

So my personal conclusion, too, is that COOKED is "no uptake". I like
the idea of obsoleting it. That does not mean you can no longer use it.
I question there is any specific value of COOKED for IHE. If it is done
in the spirit of syslog-protocol, the IHE record needs to be encoded as
sturctured data anyhow. So it does not matter if the underlying
transport is XML-based or not.

> I agree that the audit servers have not implemented it, but then again
> there isn't much conformance to any other syslog specification either.
> would like to understand why "no uptake" is a reason for removing
this.
> It is not for lack of trying.
>
> As a very interested observer and consumer of your standards, I am
> getting very frustrated at the lack of commitment to ANY specification
> and lack of interest in completing anything. I strongly recommend
> singular focus on syslog-protocol and it's bindings. Get them
> implemented before you start messing around with other things. I had
> thought this was the agreement of the committee last year.

Here I fully agree with you. I think, however, there is currently
nothing we can do to help advancing -protocol and the transport
mappings. They have been submited to the IESG and are now waiting for
IESG attention. So the WG can either idle or do other things. As we know
3195 needs to be revised, I find it useful to think about that.
Especially as I agree it should be straightforward activity.

What is questionable is if it is right to old -sign once again for
completion of other work. This has done many time, maybe too many times.
On the other hand, there is good reasoning to do so and the chairs have
explained their reasoning. I agree with their position.

HOWEVER, as soon as new work items for -protocol and the transport
mappings come up, we should immediately turn our attention to them.
Being through thru 4 years (or were it 5?) of revisions of -protocol, I
definitely want to see this work finished ASAP. I agree there is some
danger in discussing things. If -protocol and mappings need attention,
it might be problematic to switch back attention to them. I see this
risk. Maybe it is important enough to actually do nothing but idling...

I hope this clarifies my position. I honestly believe that the current
discussion is useful and is also useful for IHE.

Rainer