Hi David,

I am keeping track of 3195 implementations here:

http://www.syslog.cc/ietf/rfcs/3195.html

I've just added the Cisco implementation, which is the first one by a
major player (but RAW mode only).

I do *not* know of any actual deployments, at least not in production
environments. I'd suspect there are some users of SDSC syslog which
eventually use 3195 and maybe even in the limited COOKED mode available.
As far as I can tell, noone from our own user basis has ever deployed
3195. There were some test cases and some university projects, but as
far as I know nothing lasting. I assume there are some deployments in
IHE environments, but John can probably comment on that much better. As
far as I know, the most interest has come from the IHE community,
because there was a somewhat imprecise specification of the message size
limit found in 3195, which enabled IHE to transfer oversize messages in
a way that could be claimed to be standards-compliant (see
http://www.syslog.cc/ietf/autoarc/msg01454.html).

A side note: While I browsed that threat, I found this message here:

   http://www.syslog.cc/ietf/autoarc/msg01463.html

The important quote is:
###
As a specific example of what Rob Horn mentioned, see RFC 3881.  This is
also incorporated in the work of multiple healthcare standards groups.
Cooked reliable syslog messages are the transport.

Glen Marshall
###

This seems to indicate there is a field of yet-unknown deployed
implementations. This also seems to be at the bottom of John's concern
from earlier today. If COOKED reliable syslog is already referenced AND
implementend AND eventually even deployed, we should be very careful
about obsoleting 3195.

Rainer