I share similar sentiment as Anton.  First of all, I agree that it may
be a good idea reflecting current best practices to let MIB focus on
monitoring aspects, not configuration aspects.  Second, I am not sure
how much standardization of configuration aspects is really needed to
facilitate interoperability.  In general, there are many aspects that
_could_ be configurable, but whether they are indeed made configurable
may be a matter of implementation differentiation - some products may
offer some extra "bells and whistles" in making certain aspects
configurable that others do not, then again some vendors may decide to
not offer those bells and whistles but do things in a certain way in
order to make the corresponding product simpler to use and not overwhelm
users.  In any event, those are local decisions with little impact of
how different syslog implementations would interoperate.

I think it is fine in some cases to indicate what aspects would
constitute valid knobs, as has for example been done with syslog-sign.
If the intent of specifying a .conf file is to provide a menu of such
knobs, that's fine.  However, I would stop short of mandating that all
those knobs actually have to be implemented, and implemented in a
certain fashion.  If we wanted to go that route, then I would assume
going down the route of defining this as a data model for Netconf is the
right way, but as mentioned this leads to some issue regarding scope of
the working group, in addition to the fact that we'd be getting ahead of
ourselves as Netconf isn't quite there yet as it is my understanding
that work on Netconf data models is still far from a conclusion.

--- Alex