Hi Anton,

Perhaps I wasn't so verbose in my original posting. Documenting the SNMP MIBs will give us counters and a way to configure syslog via SNMP. We've had many discussions of what we want to count, and how it _should_ add up. We've also had discussions on how to tell a syslog device how it should enable the transmission of messages and what Facilities and Severities it should send to where. From those discussions, however, David and I are not sure that anyone will ever use those counters, or will ever use SNMP to configure syslog. If that's the case, then we don't feel that we should go through the effort to produce such a document.

On the other hand, we know that many people edit syslog.conf. Perhaps we should document how to enable the sending of syslog messages as it has historically been done, and forget about counters if no one here objects.

If we go this route then we do not see the need in the syslog WG to fully document how to filter received messages nor how to select messages for transmission. We think that we can provide the Operator community a good service by describing how lpr.* messages can be transmitted to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" via udp, and how to transmit kern.* messages to a different machine via tls.

The interoperability we hope to achieve by documenting syslog.conf (in it's most generic form) will be to demonstrate the configuration aspects that an operator will have to address to make it work. For simple udp transport, it is to just assign an address. For tls, someone will need to think through the aspects of how to designate the certificate that will be presented by the server, and what policy decisions will need to be made on the sender. Similar thoughts will need to be done for 3195 configurations.

I agree that documenting all of the potential features of the syslog appliation is out of scope for this WG. We're merely asking if the WG feels that a simpler document on how to configure and use syslog would be more beneficial than documenting a MIB.

Thanks,
Chris