Am 21.12.2015 um 14:23 schrieb Jóhann B. Guðmundsson:

On 12/21/2015 01:00 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

Am 21.12.2015 um 12:40 schrieb Jóhann B. Guðmundsson:
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/foobard $OPTS

and then tell admin to use systemctl edit
[Unit]
Environment=OPTS=-baz

bonus points if we could standardise the $OPTS var name across daemons.

Then distros like Fedora could do a one-time migration of their
settings in /etc/sysconfig/foobar and drop the file after the upgrade.

This makes no sense.

for you!

What he proposed is redundant and adds an extra line to the unit file
and in addition requires some distro's acceptance that upstream needs to
be aware of when it creates the unit for it's daemon/service.

By all means enlighten me the benefits of his proposal which makes sense
and does not add unnecessary line to the type unit file along with the
complexity it might bring ( think larger type units )

by all means don't premature stop reading and press reply

in a long term your service may break because you change the ExecStart and so miss new or changed parameters of the distro-package for example when a param is no longer supported and the new version fixes that with the shipped unit

i explained that already

Environment=OPTS=FOO could be a snippet

ExecStart=/path/to/daemon FOO would cut you from distro-changes in other params and explained abvoe sooner or later lead in failing and could even be security relevant depending on new options or removed options in the distro-unit