Excerpts of Mike's statement:

<It's a huge relief because I was sick of it (the
200 meters). I was just
totally sick of it. It was something that was a
benefit for everyone but
me. Everyone wanted it but me. I didn't want
this, but it was something
that I felt like, in my position, I have to give
people the chance to try
to beat me.>

Give people a chance, Mike?  It's called
competition.

<It became not about what guys have done and what
they can do.>

Excuse me Mike, but it was all about what they
can do.  There WAS a race and you did not win.

<These guys, most of the reporters, were trying
to convince people that this
race was going to be closer than it really was
ever going to be.>

If you are the best Mike, prove it on the track,
who cares what dumb mainstream reporters think.

<In that
semifinal, Maurice ran what Maurice is capable of
running right now (20.30
seconds). I think he's capable of running a
little better than what he's
shown in his 200s this weekend. He's not a 19.7,
19.8 type of 200-meter
runner. He's a 19.9 on his best day. That's it.>

Mike, it that is so, why are you so afraid of him
and others that you have vowed to never run a 200
again?

<These guys know, they knew after seeing what I
ran on Saturday (19.89).>

You probably didn't notice Mike, because you are
so wrapped up in yourself, but John Capel, part
time runner, college kid, ran faster than that,
when it counted most, in the final.

<I like my share of getting out there and
everybody's thinking they're going
to win and that kind of thing in the 200. I like
that just as much as
everybody else does.>

Yeah Mike, you like it so much, you have vowed to
never do it again!

 <For some reason, it just tends to get so silly,
and
that's just something I don't enjoy.>

No Mike, it is not silly, it is serious
competition and everyone wants to knock you off.
It's called competition and it is not silly.  The
only silly thing is that someone with your talent
and accomplishments is afraid.

<I have no interest in running any 200s at all. I
have nothing to gain from
running 200s.  There's nothing else I can do in
that event because of who I
am (the world record holder) and what I've done.>

Mike, a competitor runs races, he doesn't run
away!

<Me running the 200 is
always going to be some kind of let's try to find
another matchup. The guys
coming up from the 100 -- they're (the media)
going to try to match me with
them and all that craziness.>

There is nothing crazy about it Mike, it is
called competition.

<There's nothing for me to gain from it, so no
more 200s for me. There's no
reason for me to run 200s.>

Mike, I think I can come up with a reason.  How
about you run a 200 so we can see whose the best
in the world over 200 meters?