John Molvar wrote, among other things:
> No Mike, it is not silly, it is serious
> competition and everyone wants to knock you off.
> It's called competition and it is not silly.  The
> only silly thing is that someone with your talent
> and accomplishments is afraid.

This and the other messages that followed, nailing MJ for saying this,
miss one important point:  racing nowadays (ESPECIALLY for MJ) isn't just
about "bragging rights" or "who's the best today" and it's everything
about something we all need, too:  a paycheck.
If *I* was Michael Johnson and I had to balance "bragging rights" and
injury VS. my retirement plan and some endorsement money (which I
certainly would lose alot of if I got bumped off or pulled up lame in a
race where I already hold the world record), I sure as hell wouldn't pick
bragging rights and competition.
Personally, I think competition is a great thing, and I love the
attraction of "pure sport" but let's not be naive.  Michael's got alot
more to lose in a risky 200 (when he's obviously injury-prone) than just
his ego.

Bryan