>Johnson is the only top-end sprinter we KNOW was taking drugs during that
>era.  We know that Johnson was certainly mediocre in comparison when he
>wasn't on drugs.  We can only speculate about other sprinters.  Again, I
>state that we need some form of "proof" before we throw accusations
>around.  I don't think we can "dirty" all others just because we have
>doubts.  Thus, Johnson's performances must be discounted, and he cannot be
>considered among the greatest ever.

Johnson tested negative in Rome and later positive in Seoul. Christie tested
positive in Seoul ans positve after that but should be considered? Mitchell
tested negative in Seoul and positive after that. If a positive test means
that they can't be considered then Johnson is out and so is Christie and
Mitchell. Maybe they just cycled better in preparation for Seoul, like Ben
must have for Rome.
I think that Ben should be considered. If we like it or not he ran 9.79
while slowing up at 80 meters glancing over at Carl and putting his arm up
in the air as he finished. His time would have been much faster if he had
sprinted through the line. To date no one has come close to that. The 5
should be:

Ben
Boszov
Lewis
Hayes
Christie

Hayes might even be higher than this. Once Greene's career is over he could
very well displace one of these.
Smith and Fredericks are at a level just below these five. They were great
but were never dominent.
I am not sure where Jesse Owens would be. Any thoughts on him ?

>I don't think Christie can be considered among the top 5 because he wasn't
>dominant in his era.  I think we're giving short shrift to the pre 1964
>sprinters.  What about Bobby Morrow, Jesse Owens or Charlie Paddock?  I
>suspect Cordner Nelson has some thoughts on that.

Peter Stuart
Head Coach South-East Athletics
Head Coach NB Canada Games
NB Coaching Chair