"Everybody" does not jog.  It's a marketing ploy to
get people to buy stuff by making them think that by
buying a pair of running shoes (thus making a 'statement'
that they're health concious, whether they actually jog
or not), they're going along with the crowd.
For every 5,000 people that show up at a major road race,
there are 50 million who are conspicously absent.

I see a lot more running shoes walking up and down the aisles
of the supermarket than out on the roads.

RT