All of my non-running, non-track watching friends know who Michael Johnson
is and most know who Maurice Green is.  None could name a distance runner.
If you asked them what they would want to watch on TV, distance or
sprints, they would choose sprints.

I think that EVERYBODY understands the 100m.  It is seen as who is the
fastest in the world.  That is a concept that everyone can understand,
appreciate and marvel at.

People don't have the same appreciation for distance because while
sprinting is about an absolute maximium of physical performance, distance
running is about a sustained maxium of physical performance, a concept
that is not as easily grasped, understood or appreciated by those that
have not attempted it.

Getting back to marketing.  If I wanted to sell a random product I'd use a
sprinter not a distance runner.  If I wanted to sell distance shoes to
joggers though, I'd rather have a well known marathoner (which in the
U.S. probably still means Frank Shorter or Bill Rodgers, especially
considering the dmeographics of the American jogger.)

Paul

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Conway says that the general populace loves distance running, and sideshow
> says they could give a rats ass about the distance races, even citing the
> 9900 + 100 meter sprint we all witnessed in Sydney.
> I have heard throughout the years that the general populace does not relate
> to the sprints, but can identify with the distance races because everybody
> jogs.  This has been the shoe company credo for decades.  So which opinion is
> true?
> Should the advertising be geared towards identity of action, or identity of
> name and face?  What is the truth?
>
> DGS
> The G.O.A.T.

Paul Talbot