In a message dated 1/6/01 8:16:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> Mike would you then please enlighten me as to what clubs there are and
>  why the lack of a support system of 22-32 sub elite athletes and elite
>  athletes who don't go to college is not a problem?
>
>  I don't count groups such as shoe company teams and HSI as "clubs"
>  (no offence Darrell.)
>
>  To my knowledge NYAC still has athletes, the Indiana Invaders too.  And
>  GBTC though NYAC doesn't provide coaching per say and involves many
>  sports.  And to be clear,  a club system would provide for travel,
>  coaching and a facility.
>
>  Thanks

Let me step back a bit and say on the East coast track and field is not dead.
I do not get out west but I am aware of many clubs between here and the West
coast that organize runners and track athletes under the umbrella of a club.
They provide support and coaching.

I belong to the Syracuse Chargers. We have nearly 1500 members that include a
wide range of athletes from kids to 85-90 year old competing athletes. We
have an elite team that competes in local and national track meets. We field
a cross country team that competes in the National Club championships as well
as other regional and nationally recognized meets. I could compete in an
indoor or outdoor track meet nearly every weekend from now until July all
within driving distance.

While the Chargers are primarily recreational athletes the competition is
quite serious and would enable a developing athlete to have a nice base from
which to grow from into a world class athlete. Put it this way, I still am a
low 2:20 marathoner and I just barely make the traveling squad.  In Rochester
(another upstate city) there are 3 large clubs that support many track
athletes as well as cross country athletes. Buffalo has some nice clubs as
well.
Boston and New England is filled with clubs that provide coaching and support
for young athletes. There are indoor and outdoor facilities available in
Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo as well as many other cities here in the East.
Coaching is always available. Most of the clubs I know do provide for travel
to many track meets and races. The local USATF association has provided some
funds for young developing athletes beyond what the club provides.
While these types of clubs may not be evenly distributed throughout the
country that is not a fair criticism. This is a huge country, you will never
entirely blanket it with strong clubs. So what, move.

With all this said I can speak from experience that if you really want to
make it as an athlete, the fact that you don't have money thrown at you is no
excuse. You can spend 4-6 years in college and get a chance to compete at an
extremely high level with great facilities and competitive opportunities. If
you show a hint of potential live at home for a couple of years or move to an
area where a bunch of people share a house. (this exists now as it always
has). That should get you to 26-27 years old, if you have not made your mark
by then you probably never will. If you do get to the elite level worthy of
world class distinction then there is support.

If you have world class potential and you have the desire to make it you
could get started from here. NO excuses.

As far as club nationals, I was referring to the cross country nationals
which have been in existence for many years now. If you were speaking of
track club nationals I apologize.

Track dead? not where I sit, is it the NFL? Heck no, it never will be.

Mike