In fact, Shorter had a better overall career than Lindgren. Olympic gold
medal in 1972 (only American man to win since 1912), olympic sliver medal in
1976 -- how many Olympic medals did Lindgren win?

-- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2001 8:18 PM
Subject: Re: t-and-f: better than Lindgren? (was: Ranking HS distance greats

In a message dated Tue, 27 Mar 2001  6:34:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Richard McCann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

<< You're right.  I am looking at their high school careers not overall
careers.  For example, I'm not considering either Frank Shorter or Bob
Kennedy, who really blossomed collegiately and later but have to be
considered on the same level as Pre and Virgin career-wise, and better than
Lindgren. >>

You're joking, right?

Neither Shorter, Pre, Virgin nor Kennedy have an OVERALL career that
remotely compares with Lindgren's. He absolutely stomps the crap out of any
of them as both a prep and a collegian, and his forays into the open ranks
on the track are right up there with any of the others.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry every year when a stiff who couldn't
carry his jock gets into the Hall of Fame and he's not even nominated.

gh