Garry
You're showing your Wazzoo bias.  (I knew Gerry 20 years ago, as
well.)  Yes Lindgren is among the greatest American distance runners, and
yes both his high school and collegiate careers are only surpassed by Pre
and Nyambui.  And I agree absolutely that he should be in the Hall of
Fame.  But his world class career really is only comparable to Shorter's,
and Shorter performed better in the Olympics, and was at the top of US
running when it was at its best.  Kennedy's performances are overshadowed
by the emergence of the African runners, who were barely a presence during
Lindgren's career.  I don't rate Shorter and Kennedy as far ahead of
Lindgren, but a step.

Of course, this question is impossible to resolve and is based on our
respective opinions.

RMc