I posted something along these lines to the list about 2-3 years ago.
The Fenners track at Cambridge University, which was used for competition
up until about 1960 when the 400 metre track at Milton Road was built, was
one where the runners went around clockwise. This may have been to
optimise a finishing straight relative to the stands or something, because
the track was not at all symmetric. It was 3 laps to the mile, so each
lap was about 587 yards (546 metres) and I think it had two longish
straights joining each other at almost 90 degrees and a longer curved part
with slightly less sharp bends. It was like this because it was built
around the outside of a cricket field. I sometimes used to train on it
when I was at the University in the early 1960s, because it was close to
where I lived. It wouldn't surprise me if the film "Yankee at Oxford" was
shot on this track (in Cambridge).
                                                  David Dallman

David Dallman
CERN - SIS