Andy, Tom et. al,
that "all high school coaches are idiots and know
nothing about the national team selection process."
He wrote that in HIS experience, most don't have that
knowledge.  I can tell you that his experience goes
back quite a way and while it doesn't encompass the
entire country, it does cover quite a bit of
territory.  There are a ton of great high school
coaches who could coach on any level they choose and
would be successful.  But, there are quite a few more
who are A) collecting an extra paycheck B) making sure
that their football/basketball players are getting in
or staying in shape or some that just never expanded
their knowledge beyond "wind sprints" and "road work."
 I was "coached" (loose useage of the term) by just
such people and I cringe when I think of the work outs
we did and the things we didn't learn.  There are just
as many college coaches who are horrible too, so don't
think that I'm condemning any certain level, but I
have met a great deal of coaches on the high school
level in the last 20 years and the really good ones
are in the minority and the shame of it all is that
usually it's due to lack of effort on their part
because the information is out there.  There is such a
shortage of coaches in many parts of the country, that
quite often a non teacher who is willing to drive the
bus, inventory the equipment and doesn't have a felony
record can obtain such a position.  I think if you
cast Wayne to the "instant delete" pile then you miss
the forrest because there's a branch that you perceive
to be in your way.

Just my .02 cents worth, not looking for any flames or
enemies.

=====
Keith Whitman
8406 Whippoorwill Rd.