Title: Message
The same folks who brought you the 1600 nd 3200. Need we say more?

malmo

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Ed & Dana Parrot
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2001 3:33 PM
To: 't-and-f@darkwing. uoregon. edu' (E-mail)
Subject: Re: t-and-f: Junior qualifying

It may sound asinine, but it is completely accurate in my experience.  And I don't consider it an insult.  Most (say, 80%) high school coaches are solely focused on the 2 or 3 high school seasons.  They don't want their kids racing out of season, so they very reasonably don't bother to learn about what else is out there.  Many high school coaches have more background in other sports than track, which simply adds to it.

We are NOT talking about people who coach sub-4:10 milers or sub 10.4 sprinters here.  We are talking about the masses of coaches who work with the vast majority of the youth numbers that everyone cites as a sign of our sport's health.  Most of them never have a kid break 4:30 or 11.5 and are more concerned with having someone in every event and manging their team with limited resources than with worrying about opportunities outside high school.

When I was coaching ten years ago, certainly less than half of the 50+ coaches in my district knew the name of any organization that sponsored the junior olympics, except for some vague knowledge of the pre-Amatuer Sports Act AAU.

- Ed Parrot