> The best coach I ever had was Robert Budd, my high school coach and DC
> high school basketball legend. He knew nothing about running, but
> everything there was to know about coaching and motivating athletes.
> They teach that at those expensive coaching junkets?

For once I am in total agreement with Malmo, especially when it comes to
high school athletes.  One of the best coaches I've encountered was my own
high school coach - Al Shaler.  His training methods were nothing too great
(I learned later), but he knew how to motivate like few I've ever seen.

There IS a place for coaching education, but it is certainly not a
requirement to be a good coach.  It's been ten years since I went to USATF
school, but my recollection is that motivation was not a part of the
curriculum.  It's something that is difficult to teach, because the ability
to motivate athletes is tied to something internal for the coach.

- Ed Parrot