After having the opportunity to watch all the action this past weekend, I
once again am reminded how exciting high level track and field is to watch.
Some thoughts:

- The men's shot put was by far the highlight of the meet.  Those guys had
the crowd on fire.  As great as it was, I also have to register my dislike
of the "flights" concept, as others have done.  The second flight built to a
tremendous peak, only to have the air let out during the break before the
finals.  Nelson's final throw was still electrifying, but round 4 and 5 were
yawners, made so largely by the break.  If we had to have some qualifying
rounds on thursday with no spectators, it would be a worthy tradeoff to
regain the continuity of the finals.

-The men's 5K was among the most exciting of the running events, with plenty
of lead changes in the last mile.  It was great to see Luchini in the mix as
well.  The 1500m should have been exciting, but was perhaps more notable for
who wasn't running than for who was.

-I would have liked to see another Teter-Jacobs matchup at 1500m, but they
were each dominating in the event they ran.

- Once again Devers shines best with a negative wind, not that she's bad in
any wind!  That had to be one of the best quality fields in U.S. history
with so many under 13.

- Women's pole vault was perhaps less than expected, largely because Stacey
is so much better than everyone else.  Since she didn't have the early
misses, there was no suspense.  None of her WR attempts were really that
close, although it does seem like she's waiting on the pole more this year
than she has done in the past (or maybe she's using a longer pole, I
couldn't tell), and eventually that will translate to more WR's.

-Davis is going big places in the triple jump. He seems like he is very
under control and could add a foot or two by Athens.

- The open 100's are probably my least favorite event to watch live.
Neverthless, both centuries promised and delivered superstar wins with the
challengers at least reasonably close.  It will be curious to see if
Montgomery can continue to close the gap, which is surely smaller than it
used to be.

- Ed Parrot