> I've long thought that it might be well possible to make a case that more
> people have incurred more longlasting health problems from running than
from
> taking steroids. Flame away!

I'm sure gh is right.  But at the risk of generating even more flames, I'll
say that other than elite athletes who are really pushing the envelope (a
tiny fraction of runners), I think 80-90% of serious running injuries are
entirely preventable and are due to two things - poor running form and
stupid training/racing.  Sure, minor injuries will happen, but I am
convinced that most of the people who's knees have been "destroyed" by
running could have prevented it with appropriate steps (aside from not
running!).  This includes my own major injuries!

- ed Parrot