Regardless of the reasons, are we in agreement that most males reach their
physical peak between the ages of 23-28?  Because if we all do, I would be
shocked.  All I've ever heard was that I, as a male, won't reach my physical
peak as a runner until 28-32.  If you think about it, it makes sense that a
runner, if he started early enough and hard enough, would be at his prime in
his late teens to mid 20s.  It is the time when we have the most
testosterone flowing through our bodies and the time when we can do the most
training without breaking down.  Bottom line, if anyone knows of any
potentially fast 8-10 year olds out there, send them to NYC.  I'll have them
running 60 miles a week by the time they're 10 and by the time they reach
18-24, they'll be world beaters.  Some may say "you'll burn them out
mentally... wah wah wah"  Well, so what!  I would rather be burnt and run a
mile 3:43 at age 22 than "enjoy" my running and be a 3:55 guy at age 30!
Besides.  I could care less about longevity.  Longevity is for joggers and
those that truly love the sport for what it is.  Ever notice that the
fastest ones don't stick around much after their prime?  Morceli, Geb on the
track, Tergat on the track, MJ.  Its because for them, it was maximizing the
bodies potential and winning.  Once that was accomplished, why go through
all the pain and agony (read: Komen) for years on end... simply to be
mediocre???