It isn't so surprising in view of the fact that there have been two major changes in shot technique during that period--to O'Brien and then to the spin. I seem to recall that long jump with a flip looked like a mechanical improvement before it was banned.

Bill Bahnfleth

At 09:36 AM 11/7/2002 -0800, FJ LEE wrote:
> Good article once I found it. The Glute Contest photos were nice also.
>
> http://www.planetmuscle.com/articles/5_5/brobs.html

This wasn't mentioned in the article, but it's hard to believe that the
Triple Jump record and Shot Put record were approx. the same (15.5
meters) at the turn of the century!

What a difference today! (18.29m vs. 23.12m)

Jimson.