>I think a strong case can be made that by allowing
> this thing to fester could increase fan interest and
> therefore Nike's bottom line. But the purists
wouldn't care and I can  respect that
> position. It's the highest ground to get onto. And
> it's pretty lonely up there I imagine.
> Regards,
> Martin

I'm not a purist. Just a fan and a realist to boot.
I'm looking at the whole situation from a public
perception and business perspective based on past
experience in PR and crisis communications.

Personally, I don't see how further tainting MJ's
image is good for her, the sport nor Nike's bottom
line. From what I've read on this board in the past,
MJ's market value (for getting endorsements) has been
hurt by her past associations. If that is truly the
case then how could this current situation help her,
especially the way it was handled from the get go?
However, with all that said, I still would be very
interested in hearing the strong case for allowing it
to fester.

I've also been throwing around this question lately.
What do you think the reaction would have been if she
had been proactive and went public from the start? She
could have positioned her association with CF very
differently then the way it eventually played out in
the press. I'm sure she still would have taken heat,
but we'll never know if the end results would have
been the same.

John