My recollection was that Paulen was Belgian, but Dutch means I
was close.
They named a big meet after him after he died, didn't they?
Where is that?  Ivo van Damme (the Van Damme meet named after
the 800m runner) is Belgian, so I guess the Paulen meet must be in
the Netherlands.

Although Paulen didn't have the racist reputation of Avery Brundage
(Brundage was IOC head in '72 while Paulen was IAAF head- I think
Paulen moved up to take Brundage's place not too long after '72, right?,
anyway- Paulen was stilled viewed as the typical amateur athletics
bureucrat who was stodgy, upper crust elitist, set in his ways, and
extremely stubborn.

Also, I think the first time the Germans were in the Olympics after WWII
was 1964, where they fielded a joint team (a very odd pairing considering
that it was the height of the cold war- "Dr. Strangelove" time).  But after
that they split, and had separate teams beginning in '68 (and of course in
'72 as well).

Wait a minute- didn't Armin Hary compete in Rome in '60, and wasn't
he German?

RT