** This is the quasi-official and semi-temporary T13 email list server. **

> Hale,
> Of course one must compare CD and IO results to what is expected!  But using
> the results are no guarantee of failure as you are suggesting.

An interview candidate, laid off from the firm who produced one of the first popular
Atapi devices, once told me that that device reached market in time with the ability
to see o x1F7 Command = x08 DeviceReset between command out and status in only by
clearing x3F6 & x80 AlternateStatus.BSY whenever it could.

Any polling host connected to such a device therefore saw garbage in CD:IO.

To work, the host had to wait for INTRQ before sampling x3F6 AlternateStatus ... or
else recklessly ignore CD:IO.

I know of other products shipped in the same time frame that included an extra chip
for this purpose.  Those products shipped millions of thirty-cent chips ... the
original design was a ninety-five-cent chip, and I spent December of 1996 digging out
the other sixty-five cents with a friend.

Pat LaVarre