On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 9:33 AM, Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org> wrote:

> Never mind simply tagging it loses spatial detail in the process, and
> complicates routing engines (since turns are often restricted or
> prohibited from the cycle track across the adjacent road and vice
> versa).

I would love to hear more from programmers of routing engines. My intuition
says that this level of "complication" is very low, but I could be wrong.

I'm also not sure that turns *are* "ofter restricted or prohibited". You're
saying that in a left-drive country, cyclists in a cycling lane/track can't
turn right in situations where motorists can? What do they have to do,
continue to the next intersection, then double back? I find this implausible
- why invest the money in a cycling track, then hobble cyclists like that?

Steve