Roy Wallace <waldo000...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Erik Johansson <erjo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> ... To meet both problems you can only do this:
>> alcohol=yes
>> coffee=no
>> pastries=yes
>> egg & chips=yes
>
> I like this approach.

I don't.  I don't want to revisit each place each week to see whether
the menu has changed.

> It makes much more sense than either of the other suggestions, i.e.:
> 1) inventing complex explicit definitions of what a "cafe" is,
> internationally or
> 2) assuming complex (implicit) definitions of what a "cafe" is, and
> having this differ from place to place

Well, that's the way it is.  The definitions have to be general enough
so that they can be finetuned to match local circumstances.  It would be
foolish to assume that a café in Hongkong looks exactly the same as in
Vienna.

Also, if you only tag the menu instead of categorizing the place you
only put the burden on the consumer of the data.  Otherwise you get 10
icons on the map for each café (coffee, pastries, egg&chips, ...).  Or,
you have to ask your router to guide you to a place where they have
beefsteak, beer and rum if you feel like that.

Matthias