On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Simone Saviolo
<simone.savi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> IMO, if the law defines motorways to have certain features, these
> should be implied.

How about the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic:

[quote]"Motorway" means a road specially designed and built for motor
traffic [plus other stuff]...[/quote]

[quote]
On motorways and, if so provided in domestic legislation, on special
approach roads to and exit roads from motorways:

(a) The use of the road shall be prohibited to pedestrians, animals,
cycles, mopeds unless they are treated as motor cycles, and all vehicles
other
than motor vehicles and their trailers, and to motor vehicles or
motor-vehicle
trailers which are incapable, by virtue of their design, of attaining on a
flat
road a speed specified by domestic legislation
[/quote]

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:23 AM, John F. Eldredge <j...@jfeldredge.com>wrote:

> If there are any motorways in the USA that allow bicycles, they would be
> unusual, and probably be roads under local or state jurisdiction, not
> federal (national) jurisdiction.  The Interstate highway system, usually
> cited as the US equivalent of motorways, does not allow bicycles,
> animal-drawn vehicles, or mopeds (all because of their low speeds), but does
> allow motorcycles, automobiles, trucks, buses, etc.

That's incorrect.  There are interstates in the US which allow bicycles.
And I'm not sure what you mean about a road being under federal
jurisdiction.  The laws which apply to the vast majority of interstate
highways (i.e. ones which are not within a federal enclave) are state laws.
The police that patrol these highways are state police.

See http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/interstate/faq.htm

[quote]Each State establishes the operating rules that determine which
vehicles are allowed on the Interstate highways under their jurisdiction.
Most States do not allow bicyclists on the Interstate shoulders, but bicycle
use is permitted in some States, particularly in the west where there is
less traffic and where good alternative routes may not exist for
bicycles.[/quote]