Anthony wrote:
>I wouldn't suggest tagging a road with bicycle=yes if bicycles are only
>permitted in a bike lane either.  How's a router supposed to know how to
>handle turns if it thinks the bikes are allowed to use the road?

When you cycle, how do *you* handle a (left) turn? In Florida you have
two options - move over to the left like any other driver, or stop on
the right and cross the entire roadway. The router will tell you to
turn left, and you'll choose how to do that.

>On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
>>In my area, some freeways allow bicycles, some don't. It would be completely
>>incorrect to presume that those that don't are "more freeway-like".
>OSM doesn't have a tag of "freeway", so I don't know what you're getting at.

The motorway tag is used for freeways in the US (and presumably
Australia). You may not be aware, but the trunk tag is not used for
trunk roads in the UK; it's for the "primary route network", which
includes many non-trunk roads.