On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 6:29 PM, Richard Mann
<richard.mann.westoxf...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I think surface started as a binary paved/unpaved for roads (with
> paved assumed by default, and paved meaning tarmac), and has got
> extended to cover cobbled roads, and (subsequently) as a way of adding
> more info for tracks/paths.
>
> So for most purposes, the principal distinction is between paved and
> not, and that can perfectly well be determined by checking for the
> presence of the tag, and whether it's value is "paved".

No, because there is:
surface=paved
surface=asphalt
surface=concrete
surface=cement

And how about:
surface=sidewalk
surface=concrete_plates
surface=plates
surface=tar_mac
surface=concrete_slab
surface=Betonplatten (?)
surface=beton (French for concrete)
surface=tar mac

And since "paved" is usually shorthand for "can be driven on safely at
full speed without getting the car dirty", you might include
surface=metal, surface=paving_stones...

Not so straightforward really. And that's just my analysis. Presumably
every renderer or other tool that cares will do their own.

> There's a bit of a grey area for well-maintained unsealed paths/roads,
> but the binary paved=yes/no doesn't really help. I tend to use other
> clues - that it's got a higher road classification, or is flagged as
> being part of a cycle route. It wouldn't hurt if there was a value for
> "well-maintained unsealed", perhaps surface=graded?

I guess it depends on the purpose. Some hire companies won't allow
cars to be taken off sealed roads. Most city drivers would drive
slower on unsealed roads than on sealed. I'd say it's a pretty common
binary distinction that most people make when thinking about or
discussing roads: there are "sealed" roads, and there is everything
else.

Steve