On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Peter Körner wrote:
> Am 24.08.2010 10:43, schrieb Élisée Reclus:
> > Am 24.08.2010 10:08, schrieb Peter Körner:
> >> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:MaZderMind/Key:craft
> >> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:MaZderMind/DE:Key:craft
> >
> > Are artists, computer experts, fashion designers, funeral directors and
> > photographers really craftsmen?
> >
> > There could also be a service=* with service=tax_advisor etc.
>
> I'd love to see this proposal but I wanted to get the craft= through,
> first. I also see some values on the list that are no crafts in my
> understanding, like craft=butcher or craft=bakery, but the question is
> -- why? How do we express this separation in words?

English has craftsman vs tradesman

butcher, baker are tradesmen
and
the furniture maker is either a tradesman or a craftsman
the weaver is a craftsman

(please note, none are restricted in sex to male, even though they are all
*man*)

so a craftsman would be doing something with raw materials to produce
something useful, a permanent object, and with some sense of beauty in its
form.

the butcher and baker are working with raw materials, producing something
temporary and not required to have beauty in its form

the furniture maker is a tradesman when producing rough work and a craftsman
when producing more beautiful items